Monday 25 August 2014

Rimmel Apocalips Vs Revlon Moisture Stain

Opaque liquid lipsticks are the big thing in the lipstick world at the moment. So of course I've tried and tested almost all of them and the latest additions to my collection are the Revlon Colourstay moisture stains. And I thought with the amount of different liquid lipsticks the highstreet brands are coming out with, it was a perfect opportunity for a comparison.




So today it's the turn of Rimmel and Revlon.

Shade Range
The Rimmel apocalips have an amazing shade range. They have 13 shades in total and they literally have any shade you'd ever want. Deep reds, bright reds, bright pinks, soft pinks, mauves and nudes.
The Revlon colourstay moisture stains come in 11 different shades, mostly bright and deep colours but a few more neutral shades.
But I would say Rimmel wins slightly as all the shades are really wearable whereas some of Revlons shades are very orange based, which are of course wearable just a lot harder to pull off.

Formula
Both formulas are very similar. They're not runny like some lip glosses, they are a lot thicker and almost gloopy. But not horrible gloopy just thick. The apocalips are a lot more opaque than Revlons and have more of a satin finish, not matte but not a full gloss. Whereas the Revlon mositure stains are less opaque, but still quite pigmented, and are a definite gloss. They have an amazingly glossy finish.
Who wins? I'm not sure on this one because Rimmels are impressively opaque whereas Revlons are extremely glossy so I would say this depends massively on personal preference. If you want a gloss, go for Revlon. For opaque colour, Rimmel.

Easy to apply? Long lasting?
They are both pigmented lip glosses which, lets be honest, aren't the easiest things to ever apply. With these it's a bit of a 'the slower the better' situation. I'm not talking hours just a few minutes to really get a precise application and leave a nice polished edge to them.
New York Scene Parisian Passion
Revlon - New York Scene, Parisian Passion. Rimmel - Big Bang, Apocalyptic. 

Now to how long they last. I tried both of these without a lip liner so it was a fair test.
Straight after I applied the Revlon moisture stains I could already tell they were bleeding. I'm sure this could be easily fixed by using a lip liner, but I was still disappointed. I found that after the initial 'bleed', if you will, they got no worse, so if you can put up with the slight bleeding you get straight after you apply then it's worth checking them out. For me, personally, I found that they bled just a bit too much, especially with the darker more bold colours so I do have to use a lip liner.

With the Rimmel Apocalips, unfortunately I found that these bled as well. However they lasted a good hour, without lip liner, before they did begin to bleed, so they weren't as quick to go as the Revlon ones. Again with these I would recommend a lip liner, especially with the bolder shades.

The actual lasting power of the colours were very similar in both products. They stayed all day unless you drank or ate, in which case they faded slightly, but not completely. And I found that they faded nicely and didn't go patchy.
For me, Rimmel won this one.

Feel?
Neither of them are sticky, which is brilliant because who enjoys sticky lip gloss? They aren't weightless or lightweight feeling lip glosses but I didn't really expect them to be. As the Rimmel ones dry slightly to a more satin finish they do start to feel more like a satin lipstick whereas the Revlon moisture stains stay feeling like a lip gloss. So they do feel different but I wouldn't say one is any better or worse than the other.


Overall I have to say I wasn't blown away by the Revlon moisture stains like I thought I would be. It's not that I don't like them and I'm sure I'll still get a lot of use out of them, they just aren't as amazing as I expected them to be. If you're thinking of checking them out, I would definitely recommend swatching them and leaving them for a while as they bleed on your hand like they do on your lips, and if you can put up with the amount they bleed on your hand it's really worth trying them. And if not you could always try them with a lip liner! The Apocalips are almost a classic by now, so they are definitely worth trying, their shades are amazing and they do have a really nice finish.


Thanks, Daisy. Kiss<3

No comments: