Friday 21 November 2014

Rimmel Vs Seventeen: Matte Powder

If you're anything like me setting your foundation with a powder is a must and I've definitely tried my fair share of powders. So recently I decided to test some new powders out and compare them to the Rimmel Stay Matte powder, that everyone and their dog has heard about! So today it's the turn of the Seventeen Miracle Matte Pressed Powder.

Rimmel Vs Seventeen Stay matte powder review


Finish
Both powders come off really smooth and definitely feel better than expected for £3.99. For all over the face foundation setting I find that Rimmel powder really does the job and sits well on the skin but for under the eyes Seventeen's is just a bit better. I think the Seventeen powder must be slightly finer so it doesn't settle into the lines under my eyes. I find if you just dust the Rimmel powder all over your face it doesn't cause a problem, it's only when you focus on setting concealer under the eyes where I would reach for the Seventeen powder.


Packaging
This is an easy one. Seventeen wins. The seventeen powder comes as a compact and has a mirror in the lid so it's perfect for touching up during the day. It also clicks close meaning you can throw it in your bag without having to worry about the lid falling off. The Rimmel powder has no mirror and the lid comes off completely so it's not quite as sturdy. Personally I've never had a problem with the lid coming off in my bag or anything like that but I can see how it's likely to happen. So for packaging, I give this one to Seventeen.

Rimmel Vs Seventeen Stay matte powder review

Lasting Power
Both powders are aimed towards staying matte and they both go on very matte. But after about 3 hours I find the Seventeen Powder starts to fade off and I start to look a bit shiny. It's not awful but it's definitely not matte anymore. However the Rimmel powder will keep me matte for 4-5 hours, which is pretty amazing really. Both powders last well but if you're looking for something you don't have to worry about touching up I would go for the Rimmel powder.

Overall I personally prefer the Seventeen powder. The Rimmel gives you a longer lasting matte look but the packaging just isn't as sturdy whereas the Seventeen powder still stays matte for a reasonably good time and it's just a lot better to throw in your bag for touch ups.
They are both £3.99 and you can pick them up from boots, here and here.

Have you tried either of these powders? What's your go to powder?
Thanks, Daisy.   

No comments: